It’s hot. Too damned hot. I hate this hot, humid, sticky weather. Give me cool spring breezes, crisp autumn days, or even the bitter chill of winter. It’s all better than this disgusting, dripping-sweat, feel-like-you-can’t-breathe heat.
10 Ways to Beat the Heat
- Air conditioning. Of course this has to be first, because it’s tried and true. On really hot days I stay inside and don’t go out until late in the day.
- Make it dark. This goes with the air conditioning. I close all the curtains and blinds so the sun can’t beat in through the windows in the house.
- Frozen grapes. One of my favorite summer treats! They really help cool you down.
- Washcloth on ice. If we’re out somewhere hot and have a cooler with us, I wet washcloths at home then put them in a zipper bag in the cooler. One of those on the back of your neck, forehead, or pulse points is like heaven.
- Cold water. If I can’t spend the day in air conditioning, spending the day in water is my choice. Beach, pool, whatever. Lately I even turn the hose on my own legs while I’m out watering the garden because it’s such a relief.
- Lightweight clothing. And as little of it as is considered decent by polite society. When I’m hiding at home, that’s pretty little. At home, pants are optional.
- Cold dinners. Leftovers that can be eaten cold, salads… anything that requires no cooking and very little prep work.
- Icy cold cocktails. Because cocktails make everything better.
- Cold non-alcoholic drinks. I drink a lot of water every day, but more when it’s very hot. There’s also almost always a pitcher of iced tea in the fridge. And now… homemade brewed soda.
- Wear my hair up. My hair is long right now. Too long. So long I closed it in the car door yesterday. Twice. Any time it touches my neck in this heat I think I’m going to die, so I keep it up and off my neck and that does a lot to cool me down.